Free Consultations dashes icon (408) 533-1075
Request your free consultation We enjoy building relationships with our clients and understand the problems they face every day.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
* Required Fields

How to Request a Police Report in San Jose

If you are involved in a car accident in San Jose, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. In all likelihood, you are beginning the insurance claims process so that you can claim compensation for your damages, such as medical expenses and property damage. One of the most important pieces of evidence in your insurance claim will be the police report taken at the scene of the accident. However, obtaining a police report in San Jose could be a complicated process.

How to Obtain Your San Jose Police Report

To collect your police report for your car accident, you will need to contact the San Jose Police Department Records Unit. You can contact this department to receive information on reports for traffic accidents, arrests, and other incidents. You have three options to request your car accident report: via mail, over the phone, or in person. The current fee for obtaining your San Jose traffic report is $16 per report, although this is subject to change. You can pay this fee via check, payable to the City of San Jose.

You cannot request your car accident report online at this time. However, you can download and fill out the records request form online. You can print out this document and send it with your mail request or bring it with you to the station if you choose to go in person. Taking this action will help expedite the accident records request process.

Mail Request

If you want to obtain your police report through the mail, you will have to send a letter requesting your report to the department’s headquarters. Include your name, the reason you are requesting the report, and the date and time of the incident in this letter. Mail your letter, completed police report request form, and check to the San Jose Police Department Records Unit at 201 West Mission Street, San Jose, CA 95110.

If you want to request your report over the phone, you will need to call the Records Unit at (408) 277-4261. You can call the department at from 8 AM to 4 PM, seven days a week. If you want to request your car accident report in person, simply visit the Records Unit at 201 West Mission Street in San Jose. You will have to bring your police report request form and check with you to the station.

Why Do Insurance Companies Need Your Police Report?

Your police report is a vital piece of evidence in your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. One of the most important factors of your car accident investigation is determining who was at-fault for the accident. When you call 911 and bring a police officer to the scene of the accident, the responding officer will question you and the other driver. He or she will write down crucial details related to the accident that you may not remember later on.

When it comes time to file your insurance claim, your insurance company will need the police report to determine your liability for the accident. Since the police report contains details of the circumstances of the accident, it can help the insurance company determine which damages to award you and your settlement offer.

Why Does Your Attorney Need Your Police Report?

While insurance companies are the ones who pay for your injuries, they are not necessarily working for you. In fact, it is in their best interest to offer you a lower settlement. By having an attorney represent you in your claim, he or she can perform an independent review of the police report and negotiate for a higher settlement. If you choose to pursue a lawsuit, your attorney will need your police report to craft a compelling case in your favor. If you have not done so already, contact a San Jose car accident attorney as soon as possible to assist you with your case. The San Jose personal injury lawyers at Henshaw & Henry, PC offer free consultations to discuss your legal options. Call us today.